Saturday, August 22, 2009

What does it all mean?

While watching the "Did You Know?" post on YouTube, I quickly realized that I knew very little of the rapid change in technology and where I stand. The deliberately fast paced, fly-by, try to keep up images and information left you disorientated and perplexed. Highlighting the evolution of devices and information being sent to an ever increasing population, leaving me behind. Notions that I had of Japan and the United States leading the way in the world, are thrown out the window by places like Bermuda. Making me question and doubt makes me at least able to attempt to jump on the ride instead of watching it go by as I have.

My family was the first to have a color television in the neighborhood, my first phone number was 247, Long distance calling was unheard of, and I am only thirty seven. Sadly, I thought my family was cutting edge because we have a Mac not a PC. While new information on technology doubles every two years, while 210 million phone calls can go through a single fiber optic cable, our education system and fellow Americans use very little. I realize that I know very little. I am also aware that others are more capable and have a greater knowledge that I. If I am to educate I must be wiling to learn continuously myself because two years from now it will be irrelevant what little I now know.

2 comments:

  1. 247 was your complete number? How times have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in Killin, a small village in Scotland and that was the number to the hotel my grandparents owned if you lived local. Long distance out of the community was a rare thing.

    ReplyDelete